The Marist poms program will hold tryouts on Wednesday, July 15 for the 2020-21 school year.
IN ADVANCE OF TRYOUTS
- Completely fill out the following Google form with your contact information. A Gmail account is required for this. If you do not have one, email Coach Placas.
- Choose a tryout time that works best for you on the Sign Up Genius page. Each group will have a cap of 9 dancers. Sign up for your time slot using the following link:
- Interested students must also register for tryouts on the Marist Athletics 8to18 page.
- A current physical (within one year) is needed on file in advance. The IHSA physical form can be found here. Families can bring the physical form to any doctor to be completed. If you are need of a physician, Midwest Orthopaedics will offer sports physicals on July 25 and August 1 at their Orland Park and Oak Lawn locations for $25. Families must book an appointment online in advance. Please note that physicals for incoming freshmen count as the necessary sports physical.
All dancers will be emailed a link to a tryout choreography video the morning of tryouts by 10 a.m. on Wednesday, July 15. Dancers should learn the routine AT HOME and have it perfected by their tryout time.
Please arrive 10-15 minutes prior to your "call time" but remain outside or in the car until your group is called.
All dancers will have their temperature taken upon entry to the building. Please wear a mask while entering/exiting and moving around the building. However, dancers will be allowed to remove their masks while dancing, stretching, and trying out. Please bring your own water bottle.
Note: Please stay home if you are not feeling well or are experiencing symptoms of Coronavirus. Email Coach Placas for an alternate tryout plan in this situation.
The tryout dance will combine three different styles of dance to showcase the dancer's abilities in jazz, pom, and hip hop. The dancer will also have the opportunity to include extra skills to show additional abilities to the judges. The dancers may also be asked to demonstrate some skills (leaps/turns) across the floor. Dancers will tryout in groups of three.
Before you tryout, YOU SHOULD KNOW…
• Potential Time Involved:
The junior varsity and varsity teams practice at least two days a week from the start of the season through February. During competition season, (November through February) the amount of practices or practice times generally increase. Practice times vary from immediately after school to evenings depending on gym availability. Usually, practices run about 2-2.5 hours.
• Both teams dance at all HOME football games AND basketball games. These games are mandatory. Competition season begins in late October and runs through February.
• Competitions are MANDATORY. Practices are mandatory unless arrangements have been made with the Head Coach of your team.
Due to the Covid19 pandemic, practices may be virtual with minimal contact with team members until deemed safe to "Return to Play" by the IHSA and Marist High School.
The estimated cost of participation in the program will vary greatly between new and returning members of the program. Generally, the cost of the season is between $500 and $1,000. This price includes practice and game gear, competition costumes, choreography, etc.