After 39 years, Marist High School’s boys’ track and field team won its first IHSA sectional title since 1982. Marist qualified a record 19 student-athletes to the state final.
The RedHawks will compete at Eastern Illinois University on Saturday, June 19. Field events begin at 10 a.m. while track events start at 2 p.m. A detailed schedule is available here. Information about the championship is available on the IHSA website.
The RedHawks had a record of 17-0 at the sectional, and now have a season record of 52-1. All members of the team contributed to the team’s success, and the athletes who qualified for state are:
- Ak’Tavion Agee – 4x200m Relay
- Emilio Alvarado – 4x200m Relay Alternate
- Carter Auer – High Jump
- Michael Coy – 4x200m Relay
- Brody Doyle – (1) 4x800m Relay, (2) 400m Dash
- Brendan Geary – 4x800m Relay
- Jamari Grant – Long Jump
- Josh Harris – (1) Discus, (2) Shot Put
- Josiah Harris – (1) 110m High Hurdles, (2) 4x200m Relay Alternate
- Darryl Jackson-Mitchell – 4x200m Relay Alternate
- Tommy Kavanaugh – 4x800m Relay Alternate
- Andrew Kerlin – 4x800m Relay
- Kyle Lyke – 4x200m Relay
- Jacob Martineck – 4x200m Relay Alternate
- Vince Moreno – 4x800m Relay Alternate
- Tyler O’Brochta – 4x200m Relay
- Danny Olsen – 4x800m Relay
- Jake Phillips – (1) 3200m run, (2) 4x800m Relay Alternate
- Kyle Quinn – 4x800m Relay Alternate
The team’s head coach is Jon Gordon. Follow the team on Twitter.