Marist Math is a program that is offered to eighth graders each fall. The program intends to provide gifted math students the enduring skills necessary for accelerated placement into the Algebra 2 Honors course when students begin as freshmen at Marist. Marist High School has a long tradition of providing a rigorous curriculum to students of the Southwest Side, combined with a dynamic student-teacher rapport. Our math program is reflective of that tradition and we are happy to share part of that experience with eighth graders from the community.
Here are some important facts about the program:
- Marist Math is a course suitable for exceptional math students during their eighth-grade year who are academically prepared for a high school level math course.
- Students accepted into Marist Math will attend class daily from 6:55-7:40 a.m. starting Tuesday, September 7, 2021.
- The cost of the course, which includes the textbook, is $300.
- Students who successfully complete the course and attend Marist may be placed in Algebra Honors for their freshman year.
Some of our Math Department highlights include:
- Marist offers four levels of math courses.
- Marist offers 20 different math courses, including three Advanced Placement classes.
- Marist’s Math Team is regularly a top contender at the State level. In 2017, the team finished fifth in state and was the top Catholic school in Illinois.
Marist Math Qualification Exam Information:
- A qualification exam is administered in the spring at Marist High School and will be held on March 6, 2021.
- Only current seventh-grade students are eligible to take the exam.
- Students must pre-register. Registration is closed at this time.
- No walk-ins will be allowed.
- Students should enter at the main office.
- Students must wear a mask.
- Students must bring a completed COVID health form.
- Students are to bring No. 2 pencils and a basic calculator or a scientific calculator (no graphing calculators allowed).
- Please email Mrs. Gambla for more information.