The role of the school nurse is to strengthen and assist the educational process by improving and protecting the health status of all students. At Marist the nurse is available to help students who are feeling ill or suffer a minor injury. The nurse also manages any over the counter or prescription medication dispensation. Additionally, the nurse helps students manage chronic illnesses, such as diabetes.
When feeling ill during the school day, a student should always visit the nurse first before contacting a parent.
Nurse's Office Responsibilities:
- Assessment and follow-up of acute and chronic health issues
- General medication administration
- Health records
- Immunization tracking
- Communicable disease management for the school
- Health Services policies
- Crisis management such as an injury
- Education of staff regarding student health issues, bloodborne pathogens
- Coordination and collaboration with parents, community health providers and staff members